The Transition Year (TY) is a one-year programme taken after Junior Cycle and before the two-year Leaving Certificate programme.
General Information On Transition Year:
- It is designed to act as a bridge between the Junior Certificate and Leaving Certificate programmes.
- It is available to all second-level schools and currently some 550 schools offer the programme.
- Transition Year may be optional or mandatory for students depending on the school’s policy.
- Each school designs its own Transition Year programme, within set guidelines, to suit the needs and interests of its students.
- In establishing its own distinctive programme content, the school takes into account the possibilities offered by local community interests.