Ireland’s students among top performers in reading literacy
The key findings of the 2018 assessments include
- Ireland ranks 4th out of 36 OECD countries and 3rd out of 27 EU countries for reading literacy.
- Ireland ranks 8th out of 77 countries/regions involved in PISA 2018 for reading literacy.
- In reading, Ireland has significantly fewer low-performing students (11.8% below level 2) and significantly more high performers (12.1% at levels 5 & 6) than the OECD average.
- PISA results show the difference in performance between schools in Ireland is lower than the OECD average.
- In Ireland, the difference between schools in student performance in reading literacy is less than half of what it is, on average, across OECD countries.
- Post-primary schools in Ireland can therefore be considered relatively equitable, as well as having above average performance in the three assessment domains.
The national report on PISA 2018 in Ireland can be accessed at www.erc.ie.
International reports on PISA 2018 can be accessed at www.oecd.org/pisa.
Sample items from PISA reading literacy, science and mathematics can be viewed in the national report for Ireland. They can be taken interactively at www.oecd.org/pisa