Why Attend a College Open Day? – Choosing a college can be a tough task. The decision you make can play a pivotal role in your development as a person.
Course work is important, but college is about so much more than academia. It’s a place where you make new friends, learn new skills and discover new experiences.
Therefore, choosing a course to commit the next 3 or 4 years of life to is a decision that should be considered carefully. And what better way to evaluate your options than by attending an open day and exploring all that your prospective college has to offer.
Here are our top 5 reasons to attend a college open day:
1. Courses: No two courses are the same. Although many colleges offer the same subjects, the courses themselves can differ. Attending an open day gives you the opportunity to ask questions and discover what makes your prospective course different. Does the course involve work placement? What content will the course cover? Is it accredited by a reputable body?
2. Atmosphere: Use the open day to get a general feel for your prospective college. Ask yourself: is this a place I want to spend the next few years? Do I feel relaxed? Do the staff and students seem friendly and happy? Find out if the general vibe and atmosphere of the college is one that suits you.
3. Have the chats: What better way to discover what your prospective course has to offer, than speaking directly with current students? Open days are the ideal opportunity to meet with existing students and bend their ears on what the college and course is really like.
4. Explore the campus and local area: Open days are a great opportunity to discover what the college campus and surrounding area is like. Is it easy to get to? Does it feel safe? Is it convenient and are there good transport links? What about amenities – are there cafes, bars or restaurants nearby? Is there a gym or leisure facilities? Attend an open day and discover whether the college is somewhere that’s both comfortable and convenient for you to attend.
5. Advice: if you’re not exactly sure what course or career path you want to pursue, then the best thing to do is educate yourself on the matter. Attend an open day and discover what’s on offer. Find out what courses are available and where they can take you. Ask lots of questions and get all the information you can: remember, it’s your future!
If you’re struggling to fill in your CAO form, come along to our open day on Wednesday 25th of November and find out if National College of Ireland is the college for you. Watch our short video on why NCI is a happy place to be, or for some practical advice, check out our top tips on applying to college through the CAO.