Sports and Recreation Course

CCFE Ahead of the Game with Sports and Recreation CourseCastlebar CFE

 

Castlebar College of Further Education (CCFE) has unveiled a new QQI Level 5 programme in Sports, Recreation and Exercise Studies at its Newtown campus. Helping to officiate at the well-attended launch, Mayo football star Andy Moran gave a personal and passionate address to students and staff alike about the role sport has played in his own life development. Noting that being active isn’t always necessarily about high achievement in sport, he discussed the importance of structured physical activity as a social outlet and support for people, and emphasised that a positive attitude and personality are every bit as important as educational endeavour. Andy wished every success to CCFE and this year’s students in the exciting development of the new sports programme and noted that it was one of only a few courses of its type in the west of Ireland.

Joining Andy at the launch was Charlie Lambert of Mayo Sports Partnership. Charlie explained that while 46% of the population take part in some athletic activity weekly, the other 54% that don’t comprise a large number of people who might be encouraged to begin with some physical pursuit led by trained fitness experts, such as those currently studying on the new sports programme. Public and private activity programmes both have their part to play in increasing national fitness – but the emphasis for those starting out, he pointed out, has to be fun and enjoyment.

Course co-ordinator Eileen McNamara explained to this reporter: “The sports sector has expanded as people become more health-conscious and have more leisure time than before. Increasing professionalization of sport, and improved regulation, has driven demand for better certification, too. In responding to these changes, CCFE has consulted widely with local stakeholders and initiated this sports programme which incorporates a range of practical and theoretical modules, including Exercise and Fitness, Sports and Exercise Injury Prevention and Sports Anatomy and Physiology.” Graduates of this new course can progress to third-level programmes or choose to seek employment in the Sports and Leisure industry.

Also present at the launch were Bernie Rowland, Principal, Davitt College and Monica Sweeney, Director, Castlebar College of Further Education, who both extended particular congratulations to tutors Eileen McNamara and Denise O’Boyle in establishing CCFE’s latest course.

Anyone interested in this new sports programme, or in other courses, can consult www.ccfe.ie or ring 094-902 3134 for further information. CCFE will be holding an Open Day for all interested parties on Wednesday, March 8, 2-7pm.

 

2018-02-12T13:24:45+00:00 Categories: New Course, Sport|Tags: |